Progressive Employee Journeys That Transform Career Paths for Your Teams
We’re offering a new methodology to use for identifying career paths for your teams. This approach leaves behind the traditional top-down process that relies on cascading down career paths through the organization.
In the Future of Work, career paths are identified from the bottom up as a collaborative, facilitated process among the team and the manager. The manager and their direct reports team co-design what comprises each job position at each level of experience:
- New employee
- Mid-career employee
- Experienced employee
This new approach surfaces any hidden issues to management during the process, rather than later. That way they can be handled either right away if high priority, or held in a parking lot to be considered in the future.
Results You’ll Experience with the Future of Work Approach:
- Retain Staff
- Well-trained Workforce
- Show Staff They Are Valued
- Motivated Workforce
- Attract Talented People Who Want to Develop
- Make Assignments to the Right People
We use design thinking and a set of tools and guidelines put together in partnership with the Institute for the Future and IDEO to enable powerful conversations within teams to:
- Surface what is important to employees and managers for career growth and opportunities
- Identify constraints with leveling structures
- Architect the foundation from which leveling can help enable transformation of careers at your company
- Develop cross-team understanding of and appreciation for each person’s contribution and activities
“I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his
dreams, and endeavours to live the life that he imagines,
he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
— HENRY DAVID THOREAU
Key Outcomes of Our Future of Work Approach:
- A progressive employee journey (“career path”) co-created, together with your teams that highlights the roles and responsibilities for each level based on technical competence, business domain knowledge, sphere of influence and innovation and impact.
- Career Paths will be designed to:
- Set expectations on career growth.
- Identify how to build experience for each progressive level.
- Ability to describe the key differentiating contributions of each of those levels.
- Standardized Job Titles, Job Families and Job Family Groups for easy input into your HRIS system
- A set of Employee’s and Manager’s Tips and Tricks for using Your Future at Work in performance and development conversations
- An understanding of how to relate Career Paths to Pay
This ground-breaking work is led by highly experienced Pendolino Group HR consultants with many years of operational experience. The breadth of their experience includes corporate strategic planning, internal HR, global leadership, operations management, and external HR consulting.